AMRITA COLLEGE OF EDUCATION (COUNSELLING CODE: 10925)
The main purpose of education should be to impart a culture of the heart”.
- Mata Amritanandamayi Devi
Amrita College of Education, formerly known as Sun College of Education, was started in the year 2008, duly approved by NCTE and is affiliated to the Tamil Nadu Teachers Education University (College Code: 10925), Chennai. Sun College of Education was renamed as Amrita College of Education in the year 2020. The college is run by Mata Amritanandamayi Math, Kollam since 2018.
Amrita College of Education is a self-financing institution emphasizing on quality Teacher Education with special focus on values, offering an undergraduate programme, viz., Bachelor of Education (B. Ed). The B.Ed. programme shall be for duration of two academic years consisting of 200 working days (36 hours in a week with 5 or 6 working days in a week) each year.
Bachelor of Education (B. Ed.) degree prepares students to work as a teacher in schools. The programme shall comprise of three broad curricular areas : (i) Perspectives in Education, (ii) Curriculum and Pedagogic Studies and (iii) Engagement with the Field (EWF) including courses on Enhancing Professional Capacities (EPC). All the courses include in-built field-based units of study and projects along with theoretical inputs from an inter disciplinary perspective to promote holistic development of student teachers.
The practical courses are classified into three groups (fields) namely: college based, community based, and school based. These field-attached practical courses enable student teachers to engage with children, school and their contexts. There shall be Community Service with preplanned projects and programmes. This will be done periodically after surveying the need and demand.
OBJECTIVE OF THE PROGRAMME:
On completion of the B.Ed. Programme, the teacher trainees will:
- develop positive attitude to teaching profession
- acquire competencies relevant to stage specific pedagogy, curriculum development, its transaction evaluation
- make pedagogical analysis of the subjects they are to teach at the secondary stage
- develop an understanding of the psychology of the learners
- develop skills for providing guidance and counselling
- develop communication skills and use modern information technology for school teaching
- develop capacity to organize recreational activities; inspire their students to actively participate in physical and yogic exercises, games and sports
- understand the nature, purpose and philosophy of secondary education
- develop sensitivity to socio-cultural issues of national concern
- foster creative thinking among pupils for reconstruction of knowledge
- undertake Action Research in education